Sunday, January 25, 2009

Word of the Year 2009- Remember

Inspired by a friend who came up with a posting on her blog for a word of the year, I have been thinking what word could inspire me for a whole year. As I was nursing my little 2 month old this morning and working on my Bible study I saw it-"remember".

I want this to be my theme for this year- remember the special moments of my children right now- right where they are at. For Vivi this may mean her sweet little phrases- "Good morning" greetings to each one of us in the house, her telling me how much she loves her little brother and that he's her friend. She has so much love in her little heart! This also might include her learning how to potty train- trying so desperately to get her pants, socks, and pull up off without getting pooh everywhere which sometimes makes me want to yell and sometimes laugh. For Isaac, this would mean his sweet face and alertness. His eyes are so bright taking in all of his environment. He's learning to coo and grin intentionally at me and others and it just melts me each time. For Nick and I, it will mean remember these special days when we get to jump in the car and have a time without a set schedule but time to just enjoy conversation. It will also include remembering our youthfulness- energy, or looks, and our desire to still woo each other. If I can capture these moments and remember them in a year when I'm dealing with a tough day it will make me love them all the more and realize how truly blessed I am.

I also want to remember what God has been telling me. Today His warning was remember Lot's wife- basically focus not on my own self seeking but focus on Him and losing my life for his sake. This refered me to another passage in Luke, "those who seek to save their lives will lose it, and those who give up their lives will gain it" (paraphrased). I do truly hope to look up and around me and remember others in pain and serve them or encourage them and those in a good way and celebrate with them. I really struggled this week with self-pity and my momma has always said when you get down like this that your focus is usually on the wrong place- look for an opportunity to serve. This is my prayer that I won't be self-focused like Lot's wife but that I will be looking to God and seeing opportunities to serve.

Look for more entries with the word "remember" as hopefully we'll see a common theme of this word this year. Thank you friend for inspiring me and encouraging me to think bigger!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nick still has those pants? The kids are adorable! Blessings to you all!
Beth

Tuten Family addition... said...

love your new idea. we have adopted a family life verse but haven't gotten to a yearly thing. good to read how the Lord is working on your heart and encouraging you! isn't He awesome like that!