Saturday, September 29, 2012

Crazy Injury met up with exhausted mommy

So, as I briefly alluded to in the last post, I have had a forced slow down. It's been quite a few weeks but a crazy start to this school year with an unexpected occurence a few Fridays back. Vivi was at school and Isaac was chilling out while I grabbed a few light boxes down from the attic. I really mean three and they weighed less than Isaac does. When I got down from the attic, I started to have some chest pains. I thought maybe I jerked something funny and I decided to take a shower and feel it out. It got worse! I called Nick and proceeded to try and get a hold of family members or anyone. It was very odd. It was like a tightening grip on my chest shooting down my left arm. Of course, I'm thinking what you're thinking, sounds like a heart attack. It was really bizarre. After speaking with my father-in-law and dad, I decided to call 911. They came out very quickly one officer played with Isaac while the EMS guys checked me out. They ran an EKG on me and said my heart was fine but I still needed to go to the hospital. Everything was happening so fast and so slow. Neighbors showed up to be with me and Isaac. Nick came home to take me in. About that time, my dad showed up to take Isaac. We headed downtown to the hospital stopping to pick up the lifesaver of aspirin (just in case!) and parked across the street. The walk to the front door was painful!! A lady with a wheelchair saw me and comes running up just seeing my face in agony she knew. Of course, when anyone is gripping their chest screaming in pain they are seen pretty quickly so I get rushed in! They run a lot of tests on me and do find it is not my heart-praise GOD! The best diagnosis they can give me is a pulled muscle somewhere in my pectoral/shoulder. They release me and of course, I haven't eaten anything since 7 in the morning. It's now about 3 p.m. I felt terrible! Nick wheels me out and runs to pick up the car. He gets me in and I nearly vomit in the car from low low blood sugar. I yell at him to get me a burger because the only food we have is raw fruit-more sugar-no!! I inhale a burger and some carrots and am much more pleasant to be around. We get home and basically the doc says do not use your arms for a few days. Oh yeah, no problem, I'm just a mom of two kids under 7. Fortunately, I have a close mom that comes to take care of us. I really just sit on the couch for two days and take some heavy duty meds. They knock me out. This is fine for the weekend but what happens when school comes on Monday? I have to figure it out. I take kids to school and Isaac's first day is Tuesday. I'm feeling slightly better but I have a little pain so I go to take my meds and I literally fall asleep on his floor playing army man with him. He has to wake me for his first day of school. Needless to say, these drugs and me are not a good match up. I see my regular physician and he gets me on some less heavy-duty stuff. However, I realize fairly quickly that it doesn't really help with the pain. The only thing that does are the muscle relaxers which knock me out. Basically, I suck it up for a few weeks not doing much. Today a month or so later, I'm feeling perfectly normal with the occasional fear factor about throwing my arms around or holding a plank or loading shelves. But this is life, you just got to do it! Through all of this drama I realize, how little control I really have over anything, and how dependent I am on those around me as well as my ultimate Healer. He knows. He knew all along what is going on with me. He knows the plans He has for me. I don't know them, nor am I supposed to until He lets me in on them. This can be scary or exciting depending on our faith. I do believe even though this was small it was a test of my trust in Him. I'm so grateful that He gave me another day with my family and loved ones and to see His goodness.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing your experiences. Really had a great time reading this post.

Muscle Relaxers